Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

Today is the day I hated for years.  The kid in elementary school who didn't have a Father.  I always made a card and gave it to my Uncle, who was the closest thing I had to a Dad in my young life.  It was weird and awkward and a feeling I remember to this day.

A Step Father entered our life who turned out to be an abusive jerk.  He spent years torturing my sister and I and without airing all of my dirty laundry, I am happy to report that he did spent a few years in Jail for his act and is now unhappily rotting in Hell.

This began my time of hating Men.  And as blessed as I was to have an amazing Foster Family, there was very little trust in my Foster Dad.  At 15 all men are the same aren't they?  Months past, even a year and I began to realize that maybe he wasn't so bad. Maybe I can trust him.  I didn't hate him by any means, I just always had one eye on him.  When I figured out that I was treated the same as all the other kids in the house I began to loosen up.  I was helped with homework (especially math), I was grounded when I missed curfew just like the other kids, hmm maybe he does have MY best interest in mind.  My guard came down a little, and began liking the idea that I had a trust worthy Father figure in my life.

My time in Foster care was short, just 5 years, but the lessons and values I learned about life during that short time have molded my character to a person that I like.  My life would be very different without their love and support.  I have to this day a great relationship with my Foster Dad.  Thanks John for being a positive influence, a continued voice of support and an overall cool guy.

So Happy Father's Day to my awesome Foster Dad and also to my Ex Husband Todd, who gave me the two most precious human beings I know, my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment