Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blurrrrred Lines

So my eye ball is driving me mad.  Pulling and paining on a daily basis.  The great news is according to the eye clinic my "eye turn" has taken a turn for the better and I've been sent off to my regular eye doctor for a full eye exam.  It turns out that I've reached the dreaded, middle age, according to my eye doctor,  I need glasses, bifocals to be exact.  Bifocals?  Yup, that's middle age I guess, and a little thing called a brain tumour.  However, due to my balance issues I can't "hide" mine with invisible ones, nope, I need the bifocals with the lines like Grandma had.  I haven't figured out exactly how I feel about that but I have figured out that I'm mentally refusing the blurred lines.  I think I will opt for two pairs, one for general seeing and one for reading,  Of course both will be sporting a plastic prism for a bit longer.  If after a few months of using the new glasses my eye still needs the prism they will have the prism actually etched right into the glass.  I'm hoping to kick the plastic prism to the curb, but I was also hoping to do that months ago.

So as shocking as the word "bifocal" is, middle age was a term that I didn't like hearing.  It's like a right of passage when you get into your 40's.  I've stewed over this term as it's not the first time I've written about hearing the words "well when you reach your age".  I've stewed about it because you just don't hear that at 39 but look out a day over 40, you get slammed with reality.

As my next birthday fast approaches, I've been thinking and I realize that "middle age" is not a privilege that everyone gets. Not everyone gets to whine about a new grey hair or the ever deepening "crows feet".  So I'm going to embrace the words, rather then cringe as they spill from the next Doctor's mouth.  Yes, I am middle age, I have grey hair and lots of wrinkles and aren't I lucky!  I get the privilege of another birthday and I am beyond excited about that.  I'm also excited about birthday cake, it's my favorite, I guess the pocket book will determine if I'm looking at it through clear glasses or blurred lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment